It Takes a Village!
As you know, one of our priorities as a school is to build community. There are several events and opportunities coming up over the next few months that I want to draw your attention to, as each will contribute to building our community in a different, specific way.
- Our final Moms of the World Unite Dinner for the 2017-2018 school year is this Thursday, April 5th at Rose Avenue PS. JK parent, Caroline Rubinoff, will be speaking about Healthy Nutrition — in particular ways to reduce the use of refined sugar. Following that, we will have a discussion with Mabin and Rose moms about healthy nutrition and other common issues. This final dinner will be a pot-luck. If you decide to join us — which we encourage all moms in the community to do — please bring a “dish for six” — nut-free and halal. You can register here.
- Saturday, April the 7th, we begin our Saturday Morning Choosing Time sessions again. These are free, drop-in sessions for parents/caregivers and their children, ages 0-5, and will run every Saturday morning until May 12th. Nancy Hohenkerk is our host, and the Choosing Time happens between 10 am and 12 pm in the Kindergarten room. Please enter from the back.
- Lynn Lyons joins us Tuesday, April 24th for our final speaker event for the year: Anxious Kids, Anxious Parents: How to Stop the Worry Cycle. Thank you to the PA for co-sponsoring this event. Please join us, and bring a friend! You can sign up for this HERE.
- Mark your calendars for Tuesday, May 15 when the Elmaleh Family will host this year’s annual Spring Social. This fun event is just for adults, and is an important community-building opportunity for the parents in our community. This is a “fun-raiser,” so the Parent Association aims to keep ticket costs low but spirit high.
- Mabin Day is coming! We are starting a new tradition this year. Every Thursday before the Victoria Day Weekend we hope to host “Mabin Day” — a full community integration event for students, staff, parents, grandparents, alumni, and all friends of The Mabin School. Please plan to join us from 1:30 – 3:30 pm on Thursday, May 17th to join in the fun. More details soon!
- Rose Avenue PS and The Mabin School are hosting a joint Ashoka Creativity Fair on Saturday, June 9th from 1:00-3:00 pm. Members of both communities have been planning this event for months now, and it will include fun, creativity-building activities for the whole family. We will also have examples of student changemaking on display for all to see. Please join us!
It takes a village to raise a child, and luckily, the adults in our community are a talented, committed, ever-expanding team of villagers. We look forward to spending more time with you at the events we have listed above. And if you haven’t done so already (and if time allows), challenge yourself to take a responsible risk and join in something new. We welcome your involvement.